Vivalis and Sanofi Pasteur: extension of their 2010 collaboration and license contract with a new human monoclonal antibody discovery target against a new infectious disease
6 February 2012
Vivalis announced, on Tuesday 17th January 2012, the extension of the agreement signed in June 2010 with Sanofi Pasteur, the vaccines division of Sanofi, for the discovery of a fully human monoclonal antibody against an additional undisclosed infectious disease target.
The terms of the agreement
For Sanofi Paster
Sanofi Pasteur and its affiliates:
- have exclusive access to the Vivalis' platform for the discovery of human monoclonal antibodies targeting several clinically significant infectious diseases, and
- will obtain worldwide exclusive development and commercialization rights for the discovered antibodies.
VIVA|Screen™, the Vivalis' platform
The Vivalis' platform, called VIVA|Screen™, is a potent technology for the discovery of fully human monoclonal antibodies using a combination of two technologies acquired by Vivalis:
- the Humalex® technology, a potent technology for the discovery of fully human monoclonal antibodies produced by activated and immortalized B lymphocytes isolated from selected human donors. Humalex® was developed by Humalys SAS, a Lyon-based biotechnology company acquired by Vivalis in January 2010 ; and
- the ISAAC technology, a high-throughput screening single-cell antibody discovery technology acquired by Vivalis from the company SC World, a Toyama-based company, in April 2011.
This combined technology, VIVA|Screen™, allows the rapid identification and recovery of extremely rare B lymphocyte clones, leading to the generation of biologically relevant, fully human monoclonal antibodies against virtually any antigen targeted by an immune response.
Vivalis which has already reached significant milestones in the framework of its agreement with Sanofi Pasteur may receive, for this new target, development milestone payments up to 35 million Euros, as well as royalty payments associated with product sales.
In addition, Sanofi Pasteur will continue to finance collaborative research activities.
Franck Grimaud, CEO, and Majid Mehtali, CSO, co-managers of Vivalis declared: "We are very happy that, after 1 year and a half of collaboration, Sanofi Pasteur decided to extend our agreement with an additional infectious disease target.
It is a demonstration that we delivered good results within the first programs and a great sign of confidence from our partner that wants to progress quickly in this very competitive field".
Find out more
Vivalis is a biopharmaceutical company that provides innovative cell-based solutions to the pharmaceutical industry for the manufacture of vaccines and proteins, and develops drugs for the prevention and treatment of unmet medical needs.
Vivalis' expertise and intellectual property are leveraged in three main areas:
- EB66® Cell line;
- VIVA|ScreenTM Human antibody discovery platform;
- 3D-ScreenTM Drug discovery platform.
Based in Nantes & Lyon (France) and in Toyama (Japan) Vivalis was founded in 1999 by the Grimaud Group, a worldwide leader in animal genetic selection.
Vivalis has established more than 30 partnerships and licenses with world leaders in this sector, including Sanofi Pasteur, GlaxoSmithKline, Transgene, Pfizer Animal Health, Kaketsuken, Kitasato Daiichi Sankyo Vaccine, Merial, Merck Animal Health, SAFC Biosciences.