ECTRIMS 2012: the largest conference Lyon has ever hosted
11 October 2012
The 28th ECTRIMS Congress, one of the largest European neurology congresses, will be held from 10 to 13 October 2012 in the Lyon Centre de congrès and will be welcoming 7,000 delegates from the world over: a record.
All our business tourism partners will be called on, in order to offer reception and welcome services tailored to the needs of this type of event and which will be based on our Lyon Welcome Attitude system that we deploy for large conventions (SIRHA, Pollutec, Salon Piscine, etc.) and which is a vital component of Lyon's ranking as one the major destinations for international conferences.
ECTRIMS: the congress for the treatment of multiple sclerosis
7,000 people from over 50 countries are expected in Lyon over 4 days, with one overiding objective, to improve academic research in the field of multiple sclerosis. If Lyon's reputation in the field of neuroscience is second to none, this is due in large part to the work of Professor Christian Confavreux who has played a key role in research into the condition, and suggested Lyon as a suitable place to host ECTRIMS. The hosting of such a large conference is, for the city and the Lyon Centre de congrès is a matter of great pride but also a challenge.
The conference has always been hosted in prestigious locations such as Amsterdam, Montreal and Prague and this year the conference will have available some of the finest facilities in the city of Lyon:
- 25,000 m2 in the Centre de congrès for the conference itself and for meetings;
- les Halles de Lyon and la Sucrière for the 2 main evening events each with respective capacities of 1,700 and 700;
- accommodation facilities.
The ECTRIMS conference which originally estimated 6,000 delegates finally will end up with 7,000. It is part of a trend in Lyon that in the last few months large conferences, such as the Pneumology Conference (5,200 delegates) or the World Wide Conference (3,000 delegates), have shown a 10% increase in the number of delegates as compared with the number expected.
A strong indication that once again shows the attractiveness of Greater Lyon!
Exceptional reception and welcome systems: Lyon Welcome Attitude
Thanks to effective cooperation between the Conference Office, part of Lyon Tourism, the Lyon Centre de congrès and the main local partners (Lyon airports, French Railways, SYTRAL, hotels, etc.), visitors can expect a dedicated welcome at the main entry points and hotels of the Lyon conurbation. There are 3 priority objectives:
- assist and welcome delegates as soon as they arrive in Lyon: upgraded reception (signage, hostesses) are provided at Lyon-Saint Exupéry airport, at Lyon Part-Dieu station, the Place Bellecour, the quai Charles de Gaulle and in the main hotels starting the day before the Conference,
- help with getting to the Centre de congrès and to hotels: increased number of airport shuttle buses, free public transport within the city during the conference, signage and mobile staff members, information to taxis etc.,
- inspire delegates to explore Lyon and come back! A special Lyon Tourism access point will be available during the whole time of the conference right in the Conference Centre so delegates will be able to get advice and information as well as being able to buy tourist products that will enable them to make the most of the Lyon conurbation.
Thanks to this unique welcome, Lyon Welcome Attitude is able to compete with other great European cities by offering organisers and delegates to conferences, about 90% of whom are non-French, exceptional care and attention.
Find out more
ECTRIMS opens the way for other large international conferences, some who have already indicated they are interested in booking in the future, such as IFLA in 2014, which confirms the increasing attractiveness of Lyon and the ability of the town to host major conferences and more generally large international events.