Key figures for Greater Lyon
Greater Lyon's economy in numbers
- 59 municipalities
- over 1.3 million inhabitants (Insee 2014)
- 10th most attractive city in Europe (Emerging trend in real estate in Europe 2017)
- 39th in the global rankings of best cities to live in (Mercer 2017)
- 4 418 restaurants including 19 Michelin starred restaurants (Insee-REE 2015 and Michelin Guide 2017)
- over 16 000 shops
- 266 hotels and residences (Lyon Métropole)
- 1 000 km of cycleways by 2020
- 1st European territory for new mobility
- France's top smart grids territory
- 103 experimental projects
- EUR 340 million invested by public and private partners in smart city projects
- Navly, global leader in terms of public transport service using driverless electric vehicules
- 60 834 visitors at Pollutec 2016
Businesses and institutions in Greater Lyon
Greater Lyon welcomes businesses and institutions in its own unique way, and in return they serve it well... There are a lot of them and they are active in the territory - as the figures demonstrate:
A dynamic economic environment
- Over 647 000 salaried jobs, including 85 % in the private sector (Insee-Clap 31-12-2014 and Acoss-Urssaf 31-12-2015)
- 119 872 public and private establishments (Insee-REE 2015)
- 4 881 small and medium-sized enterprises and 192 intermediate-sized enterprises (Insee 2015)
A strong industrial base
- France's top industrial agglomeration (excluding Ile-de-France)
- 75 524 jobs and 6 419 establishments in the industrial sector (Acoss-Urssaf 31-12-2015 et Insee-REE 2015)
- a take up of 296 217 m2 (Cecim 2016)
Lyon attracts foreign businesses
- 481 organisations with over 20 employees are foreign-owned (CCIR Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes 10-2016)
- In 2016, 110 companies supported by Aderly have set up in the Lyon region. They should generate 2 045 new jobs in our region within three years (Aderly report 2016)
A proven entrepreneurial dynamic
- 17 137 businesses created in 2016 (Opale - June 2017)
- 64 658 jobs in the social and solidarity economy (SSE) sector (Insee-Clap 31-12-2014)
- 58 770 jobs and 11 954 organisations in the biotechnology and health sector in Lyon (Acoss-Urssaf 31-12-2015 and Insee-REE 2015);
- Top vaccine production centre in the world;
- over 1 billion euro invested in vaccines and diagnostics since 2005;
- one of the greatest university teaching hospital concentrations in Europe;
- over 1 000 clinical trials carried out every year at the HCL ;
- Top French health cluster: Lyonbiopôle.
Cleantech includes chemistry and the environment, land transport systems and energy.
- 78 000 jobs ;
- 4 300 organisations.
- Axel’one, Transpolis, Piseo, Provademse, etc.;
- Supergrid, the energy transition institute.
- The Vallée de la Chime;
- The LyonTech-la Doua Campus.
Renowned academic stakeholders: INSA, CNRS, CPE, ITECH, UCBL.
- 6 732 public and private establishments, providing 40 610 jobs (Acoss-Urssaf 31-12-2015 and Insee-REE 2015);
- 5 digital areas of excellence: big data, robotics, software and programming, creative content, web platforms;
- 600 digital events per year;
- 1 Espace Numérique Entreprises (ENE) ;
- 6 start-up accelerators, 8 incubators, 7 co-working spaces, 3 competitiveness clusters and 3 clusters with a large digital component, 2 fab labs, 1 living lab;
- 600 university courses in the digital area throughout the region;
- French Tech label.
Security and cybersecurity
- 26 300 jobs including:
- 17 200 in the private sector
- 9 100 in public security (excluding Defence)
Transport and logistics
- 2nd region for logistics in France
- 15 317 jobs (Acoss-Urssaf 31-12-2015)
- 1 528 public and private establishments (Insee-REE 2015)
- a take up of 382 921 m2 (Cecim 2016)
You want to relocate to Lyon? And want to find out more about the market? Here are the key data on the sector. The "business property" base of the Cecim is collected annually and in full by Lyon Métropole.
The 2016 review:
- EUR 845 million invested in business property
- a take-up of 290 511 m2 for the tertiary market
Discover the latest trends with The Only magazine.
Shows, congresses, fairs, sporting events: Lyon lives to the rhythm of national and international events... Today, the city is one of the most dynamic, innovative and functional in Europe for the creation and hosting of events.
Nationally, the 2nd conference and show city and 35th in Europe, every year Lyon hosts some sixty congresses and around a hundred shows.
With around 208 000 visitors to SIRHA 2017, the professional hospitality and catering show and 7 400 attendees at ECTRIMS in 2012, an international congress on multiple sclerosis, the agglomeration is able to host the largest international events.
For these major events, the red carpet is literally rolled out with a single watchword: excellence of welcome, with a dozen tourism stakeholders mobilised.
Since an area of 500 ha in the heart of the Greater Lyon was classified as a World Heritage Site by Unesco in 1996, Lyon has been working on its image and perfecting its assets.
This change is reflected today by growth in tourist numbers, in particular at weekends and in the summer season. With 22 % of visitors coming from abroad and an average stay of 3.7 days, Lyon has become a city-break destination for lovers of gastronomy and heritage.
Lyon, Europe's leading city break destination (World Travel Awards 09-2016)
Lyon is the capital of gastronomy and intends to let the whole world know it: the Greater Lyon tourist office has embarked on a 3-year action programme, following on from Paul Bocuse’s 50 years of 3 stars in the Michelin Guide.
- The Festival of Lights (3 million visitors);
- The Lumière Film Festival (160 500 spectators);
- The Biennales of Lyon: Danse (116 000 spectators) and Contemporary Art (280 000) ;
- The Nuits Sonores festival (138 000 spectators);
- Les Nuits de Fourvière, the festival (136 000 spectators);
- The key events in international sport: Euro 2016, FIFA 2016, Finals of the European Rugby Cups, etc.;
- The matches of Olympique Lyonnais in the Parc Olympique Lyonnais (59 186 seats).
Lyon, university city
Lyon is France’s second university city and 34th best city in the world for international students (QS Best Student Cities 2017). Your city has a diverse range of educational and academic options, from chemistry to information science, via life sciences and humanities. Lyon also has many research clusters and 5 flagship competitiveness clusters.
Lyon University, in the TOP 10 of best European universities
The Métropole de Lyon is in the top rankings with:
- Lyon University:
- 12 member institutions in Lyon and Saint-Etienne;
- 19 associated institutions.
- 137 600 students in Greater Lyon, including 12 600 from abroad;
- 550 research laboratories (public / private);
- 300 families of active patents;
- 6 800 researchers and teacher-researchers;
- 5 400 PhD students;
- Over 900 theses defended every year.
Lyon Métropole supports education
Over EUR 100 million committed by the Métropole de Lyon for the University and research:
- EUR 32 million to the Lyon Cité Campus (State Campus operation);
- EUR 40 million under the State-Region projects contract (CPER);
- EUR 22 million for research;
- EUR 18 million for higher education and student life;
- EUR 25 million for the University Development Plan (SDU);
- EUR 3 million to PRES over 3 years, including 500 000 per year to Lyon Science Transfert.